Re: Discussion of Email Caller ID Boycott (url)

2004-03-30 06:28:44
Sorry!  I forgot to post the URL:

http://boycott-email-caller-id.org/

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 04:39, Dan Boresjo wrote:
On Tuesday 30 March 2004 05:59, Boycott Email Caller ID wrote:
I've founded a site dedicated to reasons against using Microsoft's
Caller-ID for E-mail.

Do you have a URL for the site?

Am I right in thinking that Caller-ID for E-mail only lists IP addresses of
servers rather than names? In which case I would point out the following
paragraph from RFC1035 section 3.6:

"The present system attempts to minimize the duplication of data in the
database in order to insure consistency. Thus, in order to find the address
of the host for a mail exchange, you map the mail domain name to a host name,
then the host name to addresses, rather than a direct mapping to host
address. This approach is preferred because it avoids the opportunity for
inconsistency. "

In SPF you can use name-based rather than IP-based mechanisms to help ensure
cache consistency.

- Dan

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/spf-draft-200403.txt