Re: Re: Discussion of Email Caller ID Boycott

2004-03-30 12:19:53
On Tuesday 30 March 2004 19:39, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Carsten Kuckuk wrote:

CID and SPF can coexists. They don't interphere with each other. I
don't see any reason to call for a boycott. Fighting spam is a
multi-layered thing, and the more sieves you have, the better. If
somebody ever starts doing bad things, I have a strong trust in the
forces of the market. Let the users sort out what is good and what is
not.

The only problem I have with CID is if MSFT published only CID data,
and no SPF data.  That leaves me with no way to distinguish forged
hotmail.com and msn.com email without paying the MSFT license.

You can treat it as unknown.

If MSFT insists on offering only CID data (and that kind of behaviour
is typical for them), then my customers will get the choice of paying an
extra fee to be able to receive Microsoft email without extra spam.

Perhaps the SPF fallback domain can republish CID in SPF format (ie act as a
gateway)?

The other nefarious action that MSFT could take is to refuse to accept
email without CID - but require an (annual, no doubt) license fee to publish
CID data.

Call the party you are mailing and inform them that there is a problem at
their end ;-O

- Dan