Re: 10,000 Registrations

2004-04-02 14:08:27
In
<200404022046(_dot_)i32Kkodh031247(_at_)mail7(_dot_)atl(_dot_)registeredsite(_dot_)com>
 <marc(_at_)alaia(_dot_)net> writes:

Wechsler's adoption roll has passed 10,000 registrations!

While doing SPF testing, Wechsler let me have access to the adoption
roll.  (The publish tests have been munged to provide some privacy to
the enrollees.)

What I discovered over a couple of weeks is that there is a reasonable
amount of turn-over on the adoption roll, especially those that
created SPF records with errors in them.  While I would kind of like
to see 100% adoption rate, this turn-over is not so high that I think
it is a problem.  Rather, it shows that people are not just tossing
SPF records into zone files and forgetting about them.  The SPF
records have an effect, and if they aren't doing what the domain
owners want, the domain owners have to yank them.

The continued high rate of publishing SPF records (vastly outstripping
the removed SPF records) shows that the effect of publish SPF records
is basically what the domain owners want.

As far as the adoption rate of people checking SPF records, it has
been doubling every two to three weeks since December and it is now in
the 10-100 million emails per month range.  While this is currently just
a tiny fraction of the overall email, it is enough for domain owners
to notice.  The rate of growth means that within the next 6 months or
so, a significant number of emails will be checked with SPF.  This
means that more conservative mail admins will see "safety in numbers"
and will likely start adopting SPF also.

-wayne