Re: Whitelists instead of SRS

2004-04-22 05:41:51

On Apr 22, 2004, at 3:34 AM, Mark Shewmaker wrote:

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 00:52, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
How do we handle the case when trusted forward is compromised?

I see no conceptual difference on the necessary response of admins or
users when a forwarding domain they had trusted becomes compromised if
comparing between whitelisting and SRS.

I wasn't intending to compare the difference between the responses of admins and users. I was eluding to the difference between reactions to a "trusted forwarder" being compromised and "just another forwarder" being compromised. And, they are different.

I think a bigger difference is the failure modes.

Compromised forwarders:

  o  With whitelists, a compromised forwarder can only affect those who
     have trusted the forwarder, (unless the forwarder appears on a
     blocklist the recipient uses.)

  o  With SRS, a compromised forwarder can affect everyone, (unless the
     forwarder appears on a blocklist the recipient uses.)

These are apples and oranges. The results of these compromises have entirely different security implications. A forwarder using SRS was granted no rights (or trust) by you and thus those rights can't be abused. A trusted forwarder who is compromised inherently gains the advantage of whatever trust was awards to that forwarder.

These solutions need to be widespread to work, so "only those who have trusted a forwarder" will, hopefully, be a huge list of people. And quite dynamic from small site to small site. It is tough to track and each admin on each site must be aware of the integrity of each forwarder they trust -- that is a lot to ask. All the while, the trust that was award to that forwarder was to use _any_ domain name in their return path -- the trust is that they won't use it fraudulently.

In the second case, the forwarder was never awarded these rights. They have the same trust (SPF policy enforcement) that every other site in the world has. When they are compromised there are no award trusts to exploit.

The Internet is an untrusting place. When developing algorithms and policies we _must_ not step in the same holes previous people have stepped in. Algorithms, protocols, and policies must be designed with the assumption that there will be byzantine parties and that attacks will be performed on them. The more money there is to be gained by attacking, the more sophisticated and effective the attacks will be. There is a lot of money in spam. It's not a pretty picture.

SPF is designed to prevent fraud. Forwarders use a technique that is used to commit said fraud. It is the _technique_ that is a problem and for an effective system to emerge from all this the techniques that can be used for fraud must be rendered useless.

Now to disclaim my rant. I don't think SPF is the best thing since sliced bread. It will not solve the worlds SPAM problems. It performs one simple task and because of this narrow focus has a _chance_ to do it well. The whole concept of trusted forwarders threatens to damage the correctness of the approach.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// Postal Engine -- http://www.postalengine.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on Earth