Re: The New SPF: overall outline

2004-05-20 15:30:28
On Thu, 20 May 2004, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

This is a rough outline of the convergence between SPF and Caller-ID
that Wayne, Greg, Mark, and Meng (from SPF), and Harry, Bob, and Jim
(from Microsoft) worked out during this week of MAAWG and MARID
meetings.

[snip comprehensive outline of new SPF].

At the moment my reaction is simply 'Yuck'.

As of yesterday SPF is growing rapidly, we have Aol and Google on board, and
have the momentum to succede, i can go to my friends and line manger and say:

"SPF is getting close to being deployable, the code is nearing the point
where you/we can deploy it and not worry about tracking it for changes closely,
and more and more people are publishing SPF records, you/we should seriously
look at it."

Now i can't say that, we need new parsers that understand both record types,
and we have to wait for them to mature and have the rough edges knocked off,
we need new code in MTA's for the RFROM[1], and we have to wait for that to
mature.

Not to mention that all the things the community has rejected (XML, new RR
type, kicking and screaming to at least have some adherence to KISS,
microsoft patents), are now firmly back in the mix.

I realise that in the world of politcs some compramise is required, but this
goes a bit beyond that...

I feel like we've just been knocked back to square one.

[1] Which isn't that bad an idea.
--
[http://pointless.net/]                                   [0x2ECA0975]