Re: Dear Microsoft,

2004-06-07 08:50:39
Karl Prince wrote:

Teddy wrote:

[snip] Politicaly perhaps it is good for SPF, ok, but technicaly it is a desaster. Here I will list the negative points:

- checking records after DATA is bandwithconsuming.
- checking the XML records doubles or tribbles the MTA code and forces in most cases two DNS lookups.
- implementing two different types of parsers forces errors in code.
- implementing two different types of parsers needs more programming effort and (if not open souce) costs more.
- long XML records cannot be easily published in a simple TXT record.

Not forgetting copyright & licence issues

Thanks and Sorry, I wasn't thinking about this.

It's now also starting to look like a political disaster, with developers throwing there toys out of the basket (if I was a developer, my toys would be gone as well).

The inevitable has now happened for a "split opinion" (not the right words) open source project, with fork discussions starting, though without the at least some of the existing project leads that is probably doomed.

Maybe this is what Microsoft wanted

   Divide and Conquer

Maybe it is that, yes. But technicaly there would be the same implemented at the level of SPF1. So with this we would move the war to the feature. I don't think this would be a good solution.

I don't understand, why Meng now wants to change to XML. It was a very simple idea. A working idea. Have a look to all these tousends of domain doing SPF. And now he wants to give up this not perfect but working and light-wighted solution.

I don't know exactly the specs of Caller ID, but when I listen to this mailinglist it must be a desaster and is untested.

Teddy