Re: Dear Microsoft,

2004-06-07 07:43:35
On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 03:55, Karl Prince wrote:
published to avoid confusion, and that the XML version has
precedent.

James Couzens wrote:
Thats disgusting.  I think I read that information with too much good
faith.  If thats true, again, thats a disgusting stipulation.  Can you
confirm this via posting a reference?  Either way I'm off in search of
it, its appalling, and I find it hard to believe our SPF guys at the
meeting would have capitulated to such a thing!

The reason was, this is to be a merger, not a takeover. SPF and CID parsers will all need to read and understand both formats, in order to give the domain owners the freedom of choice.

If it's any "consolation" I think MS gave up more than we did, at the table. They also agreed to parse SPF txt records, and they agreed to supplement their meager instruction set (pretty much ip4: and mx:) to include ALL of SPF's mechanisms. Think about that for a minute, about how many mechanisms SPF has and how big of a step it is to go from 2 to all in like nothing flat. That is a full-on feature set change, not just a language/syntax change.

I can discuss the technical details of the merger plan, but the details are already published by Meng in the New SPF threads. The technical details are not even the most important part, in my opinion, for reasons I posted about earlier this morning.

I understand you are upset, disgusted, feel betrayed, etc. Sorry about that. Hopefully it won't hinder you from participating in the SPF community for long. For now about all I can offer is, "Trust Meng, he knows what he is getting into."