Re: Dear Microsoft,

2004-06-06 12:52:51
On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 12:11, wayne wrote:

MicroSoft has lived up to the bargain that they made with the Meng
(and, as Jim Lyon of MS says "his hanger ons").

Please do not direct your anger at MicroSoft.  They are blameless in
this situation.

--James Couzens <jcouzens(_at_)6o4(_dot_)ca> wrote:

Don't you think that they would look more committed by publishing?

Microsoft CID team agreed to the merged spec. They did NOT agree to SPF1 as is. This is a merger, not an MS takeover, and certainly not an SPF takeover.

What the SPF community has gained from this merger is a commitment
from MicroSoft to support the legacy SPF format (as Jim Lyon says
"don't shoot the pioneers in the back") and an extention to the XML
format to support all the stuff that can be done with SPF.  This
includes macro variables, the exists: mechanism and the exp= modifier.
The SPF community also gains by having another major MUA/MTA/DNS/ISP
provider backing the "new SPF".

As previously stated, I believe the proof to be in the pudding.  I would
like to see Microsoft publish SPF1 records.  CallerID is a joke and we
all know it.  The very reason they are working with us because they know
it too.

I firmly believe MS Caller ID is NOT a joke. I also believe SPF is not the final word in LMAP. SPF1 was not the first, and will not be the last.

I can't believe that MS publishing SPF1 records was not a stipulation of
this "merger" agreement.

I sure can. If you are frustrated at the new SPF/MSCID merger proposal, your problem is not with MS, it is with Meng Weng Wong. But, I for one applaud his actions.