Re: Dear Microsoft,

2004-06-07 07:47:11
In <1086607278(_dot_)13959(_dot_)73(_dot_)camel(_at_)code3> James Couzens
<jcouzens(_at_)6o4(_dot_)ca> writes:

          [...]        I find it hard to believe our SPF guys at the
meeting would have capitulated to such a thing!

To be clear, the dinner/meeting that I referred to earlier was when
the merger was unwrapped and presented to quite a few people, not just
the Mark, Greg and I.  This wasn't a design session, it was a "get our
ducks in a row" session so that when the presentation was to be made
the next morning at the MARID meeting, there wouldn't be a bunch of
shocked faces.

We did discuss many things, such as the use of XML (lots of
disagreements there), the problems the MS folks had dealing with the
MS lawyers to get as liberal of terms that they had gotten, etc.

At the time, I failed to understand how the license issues interacted
with the GPL, I was under the impression that they were compatible.
The XML issue generated a lot of debate, but I'm too ignorant of the
exact details of XML to have participated much in it.  I did raise the
point that I was very nervous about the caller-id algorithm, the fact
that the list of headers has changed quite a since it was introduced
in January, and the fact that there has been zero published data about
its effectiveness.

-wayne