Re: SPFv1 needs SRS help; also, Internet gazillionaires please donate

2004-06-08 14:17:22

Meng Weng Wong said:
To make that happen, we need either:

1) increased volunteer effort, or
2) contributions to the SPF fund to pay for contract work.

A fund drive is probably a good idea at this point anyway.
Saving the world has turned out to be a fairly expensive
proposition.  Travel expenses, hosting fees, Wayne's
miscellaneous costs associated with trusted-forwarder.org,
and so on.  If we go into the black maybe we can actually
hire a graphic designer to do the logos, and so on.

Do people think there would be a response if we asked for
donations?

  Personal contributions  -   $20 to   $50
  Corporate contributions -  $200 to  $500
  Dot-com Gazillionnaires - $2000 to $5000

Contributions in excess of $1000 will be recognized with a
commemorative SPF poncho.

If people are enthusiastic about chipping in, I can help
coordinate.  As a start, I've added a PayPal button at
bottom of the http://spf.pobox.com/ site.

And I just put in $50 out of my own pocket!

Meng:

How about actually selling spf gizmos?  Want to increase awareness?  Give
us something cool for the money.  Of the $1000+ contributors, how many
will be seen wearing a commemorative poncho?  Even a button saying spf
will cause conversation.

Take advance orders to eliminate setup costs with a fixed delivery date.
Base the delivery on a minimal participation.  I'll give $50 for a nice
ball cap.

And stop all this talk about forking.  My wife left 10 months ago and I'm
ready to fork anything; even spf.

--
Bob Greene