Re: AOL to ESPs: Comply with SPF, Or Else

2004-06-11 10:25:57
On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 09:59:43AM -0700, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
I know it isn't exactly the best idea, but how else are we supposed to post
a formal notice to everyone who owns a domain and sends and receives email?
Which website does everyone who own a domain frequent? Which newspaper or
magazine do they read?

They don't.  And you won't be able to let them know.

If you wish to spend money on TV or magazine advertising to try, that would
be your right, though.

If the postmaster account isn't used for this, then what is it used for?

Sure, it may be unsolicited, but unsolicited in the same way that a subpeona
or a legal notice is unsolicited.

It is hardly spam in the UCE sense.

Unfortunately it is exactly spam in the UCE sense.  Your message is no more or
less important in the grand scheme of things than anyone else's, and no more
worthy of cost-shifting receipt.  It took me a while to learn that lesson,
but learn it I have.

I am open to other suggestions. I would rather people had previous notice
that their emails will be ignored rather than silently dropping millions of
emails without giving due notice.

Eventually, bouncing E-mail due to lack of SPF records (or too lenient SPF
records), will be the only way to force adoption.  You won't be able to do
that for years, though, if ever.

Things on the Internet don't change overnight.  This isn't 1994.

The only other alternative is to send a message to postmasters who don't
publish SPF when you receive a message from them. It will be important that
it gets sent only once, however. In that sense, you would be informing
them, "Hey, I accepted your email this time. Come September 22, if you
don't publish SPF, I won't accept it."

No, you could tell your correspondents that though.  Spamming postmasters will
never make you friends or help the adoption of SPF.

--
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization,
it expects what never was and never will be." -- Thomas Jefferson