Re: AOL to ESPs: Comply with SPF, Or Else

2004-06-11 11:46:16
In <200406111122(_dot_)49642(_dot_)jonagard(_at_)amazon(_dot_)com> Jonathan
Gardner <jonagard(_at_)amazon(_dot_)com> writes:

How is sending a notice of SPF compliance deadline UCE?

It isn't, but it is UBE and sending either UBE or UCE are both
probably a violation of your TOS or AUP.

Now if a site sends *you* email, and they don't have an SPF record,
you might be able to convince quite a few people sending a message to
them has an implied solicitation.  You certainly would be able to
convince everyone though, or even a majority, so this would still be
risky.

Things on the Internet don't change overnight.  This isn't 1994.

I believe you are wrong. We can have SPF fully deployed by September 22.

There is no way that SPF will be fully deployed this year or even this
decade.  If we are really lucky, we might reach 25% of all domains by
the end of the year and 99.9% of all domains by the end of the decade.

Fortunately, we don't need things to be fully deployed, we need enough
to reach critical mass (which I think we might have reached already).

-wayne