Re: AOL to ESPs: Comply with SPF, Or Else

2004-06-11 11:28:10
On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 02:07:49PM -0400, Paul Iadonisi wrote:

|   "Silently dropping millions of emails without giving due notice" is
| absolutely not what SPF is about.  This is about rejection before DATA
| (at least, many of us hope it remains that way after the 'merger' dust
| settles).

I think we'll see the following stages occur over time:

1) receivers use SPF for whitelisting

2) receivers start honouring "-all" and rejecting
   nonconformant mail.  (requires forwarders to upgrade to
   SRS/SUBMITTER.)

3) if a domain doesn't publish, apply a default of "a/24
   mx/24 ptr -all".  (requires vast majority of legitimate
   domains to publish records.)