Re: AOL to ESPs: Comply with SPF, Or Else

2004-06-12 04:14:47
On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 11:01:24AM +0100, Tim Meadowcroft wrote:
On Saturday 12 Jun 2004 10:14, Koen Martens wrote:
Actually, wouldn't it be enough to have DNS-providers that support spf?
I mean you wouldn't have to move your hosting elsewhere, you only need
to transfer your domain to the other dns-provider.
Ah, would be nice if the hosting company let you move your DNS elsewhere, but
the usual deal is that they completely control your DNS and you're not
allowed to move it elsewhere. Some give you a basic web interface to modify
the DNS, but very few of these web interfaces include the ability to add TXT
records.

Ah yes, that is a problem indeed.

I'm not saying they're not listening, but equally I don't see any of them
boasting about SPF "coming soon" yet... even when I ask them for it. If
10,000 small domains asked for it, they might suddenly implement it, but
10,000 small domains don't know about SPF.

So what we need is a pr-offensive targetted at the general public,
managers and the like, that are unaware of technical matters but know a
good buzz-word when they see one. It does not help, however, to have
this spf1-spf2 matter going on, where half of the people (a rough
estimate) don't want spf2. We need unity, and a clear description of
what spf1 is going to solve.

I say spf1, since spf2 is not likely to converge anywhere in the near
future and spf1 is being deployed as we speak.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html