Re: Re: AOL to ESPs: Comply with SPF, Or Else

2004-06-12 05:28:08

On Saturday 12 Jun 2004 13:07, Priyadi Iman Nurcahyo wrote:
I'm taking numbers out of the air right now, but maybe about 99.9% of
hosting providers (i.e. almost all of them) use third party automation
tools. The big three of automation tools ('control panel' in hosting lingo)
are: cpanel (http://cpanel.net), ensim (http://www.ensim.com) and plesk
(http://www.plesk.com). The 0.01% skilled enough to develop their own
control panel probably already know how to implement SPF.

Instead of hosting providers, we need to approach the makers of these
'hosting control panel'. If they are convinced to implement SPF, we'll see
maybe about 20-30 million domains with SPF record in less than 6 months,
that should be enough critical mass before the rest of the world will
embrace SPF. I think 20-30 million of small domains will make a lot bigger
impact than a single aol.com trying to convince the rest of the world
single handedly.

Sounds good to me - it's all about getting one or two big parties to add SPF
support and telling them that support looks like a "competitive advantage" to
their market - that will trigger the other players to add SPF support as
"catch up", and you get a nice systemic domino effect. I was suggesting the
largest hosting companies (which I think write their own control panels) but
persuading the control panel writers themselves may be easier and more
effective.

Now who can get a persuasive word to any of the top shared hosting companies
 - RackSpace
 - Interland
 - 1and1
 - HostWay
 - Verio

or to the leading hosting automation providers
 - cpanel
 - ensim
 - plesk

--