Re: AOL to ESPs: Comply with SPF, Or Else

2004-06-12 02:17:06

Fredag den 11. juni 2004 18:59 skrev Jonathan Gardner:
An unsolicited mailshot to postmasters all over the world?
I know it isn't exactly the best idea

It's not.

but how else are we supposed
to post a formal notice to everyone who owns a domain

If you do that, you're a spammer. Try to imagine that everybody, who
thinks you need to know something important, would send you an
e-mail? I don't think there are harddisks big enough to store that
amount of e-mails.

Which website does everyone who own a domain
frequent? Which newspaper or magazine do they read?

Put a commercial in the SuperBowl, and people will notice.

If the postmaster account isn't used for this, then what is it used
for?

It's for detecting spammers. If they receive an e-mail like "You
should use SPF" on the postmaster account, they know you are a
spammer and will blacklist you for all eternity :-) (I would)

It is hardly spam in the UCE sense.

It is spam according to the most widely used definition, which says
spam=unwanted e-mails. And yes, that's a subjective definition.

The only other alternative is to send a message to postmasters who
don't publish SPF when you receive a message from them.

Postmaster's rarely send e-mails to me from a postmaster@ adress, so
usually I have no idea if a person is the postmaster or not. That
wouldn't work for me.

If you would automate this, you would end up getting blacklisted
because it's automated spam.

Then the followup on September 22 and afterwards: "I dropped your
email because you don't publish SPF records."

You can do that on your personal e-mail system, but you can't do this
in a company, on my personal mailserver or anywhere else, where
e-mail delivery is more important than fighting spam.

Lars.

- --

Mobil: 20331241
Evt.: 70201241