Re: AOL to ESPs: Comply with SPF, Or Else

2004-06-11 13:02:27
Should we send an email to every postmaster@<domain> who hasn't
published yet? We would describe SPF, the flag day for SPF, and why
they need to publish very soon. We could also send instructions on
some
default configurations.

An unsolicited mailshot to postmasters all over the world? Brilliant
idea, only a genius could have come up with this. Truly, a public
relations triumph is just around the corner.

I know it isn't exactly the best idea, but how else are we supposed to
post
a formal notice to everyone who owns a domain and sends and receives
email?
Which website does everyone who own a domain frequent? Which newspaper or
magazine do they read?

I don't believe 'We' need to "post formal notice". We are not the Internet
police, nor servants of the Internet Court, nor of the Galactic High
Council. If we wish to announce our local policy, I'd suggest that limiting
ourselves to meaningful SMTP responses would be appropriate. This should
still tend to create user pressure (via DSN) on the administrators of
systems which don't jump through our arbitrary hoops. By all means, publish
your Terms of Service and your handy hints on some web page somewhere.

Incidentally, how exactly were we going to come up with a big list of every
domain which has (or may later have) mail service?