Re: AOL to ESPs: Comply with SPF, Or Else - Publicity

2004-06-12 08:12:15
If your goal is wide spread adoption, your direct publicity efforts are important. You must know that you've transitioned from grass roots concept and (not to be dramatic) "world changing" isn't a stretch. Particularly if eventual compliance is necessary. Re: the list of Postmaster@ domains (notwithstanding aversion to sending the broadcast), even if someone had the list (major registrar), that email box may not get the attention you want depending on the volume of email it receives. But it's along the right idea for targeted email.

Your goal would be to target IT. A mass approach through TV etc. isn't targeted. For those who may not know, there are businesses that send opt-in e-mailings for 3rd parties. The IT community members subscribe to opt-in services -they've asked for IT info.

I would say that based on this initiative, if you have been successful at getting opt-in list rental services (and since they execute the broadcasts from their servers, their spf record must be published) to comply, then you could probably appeal to them to send a blast to the IT community (they'll give details of their lists)

Since this is a public service type announcement - your goal should be to convince them to do it for free on your behalf. You have 19,000 domains adopted (if I understood your site correctly) and I calculate hundreds of millions of email inboxes represented through the ISPs (and anti-spam filter companies) you've attracted - you have a voice. Contact opt-in list rental service, speak to the President and tell them you need their help.
jill

Jon Kyme wrote:

Should we send an email to every postmaster@<domain> who hasn't
published yet? We would describe SPF, the flag day for SPF, and why
they need to publish very soon. We could also send instructions on
some
default configurations.
An unsolicited mailshot to postmasters all over the world? Brilliant
idea, only a genius could have come up with this. Truly, a public
relations triumph is just around the corner.

I know it isn't exactly the best idea, but how else are we supposed to
post
a formal notice to everyone who owns a domain and sends and receives
email?
Which website does everyone who own a domain frequent? Which newspaper or
magazine do they read?

I don't believe 'We' need to "post formal notice". We are not the Internet
police, nor servants of the Internet Court, nor of the Galactic High
Council. If we wish to announce our local policy, I'd suggest that limiting
ourselves to meaningful SMTP responses would be appropriate. This should
still tend to create user pressure (via DSN) on the administrators of
systems which don't jump through our arbitrary hoops. By all means, publish
your Terms of Service and your handy hints on some web page somewhere.

Incidentally, how exactly were we going to come up with a big list of every
domain which has (or may later have) mail service?

Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html

.

Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html