Re: AOL to ESPs: Comply with SPF, Or Else

2004-06-12 13:45:52
On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 15:34, Lars Dybdahl wrote:

Lørdag den 12. juni 2004 12:01 skrev Tim Meadowcroft:
Ah, would be nice if the hosting company let you move your DNS
elsewhere, but the usual deal is that they completely control your
DNS and you're not allowed to move it elsewhere.

Huh? I've never seen such a provider, although I know quite a few. Can
you give an example of such a provider?

  I can.  Netfirms.  And I can't say I blame them.  We took control of
our DNS and pointed our MX records at them and they eventually stopped
accepting email for our domain.  Granted, I wish we had received
sufficient notice, or a warning when we started doing our own DNS.
  But consider that as a hosting provider who has complete control of
your customers' DNS, if you need to change your MX records for one
reason or another, you can change them en-mass without contacting
customers and it can be done fairly transparently.  If a big chunk of
your customers are running their own DNS and point their MX records at
your servers, then it becomes a bit more complicated and costly.  You
now need to notify your customers and hope they do it right, or they may
bitch at *you* for making the change.  All this adds up to more customer
service calls which == $$.
  Plus, do you notify all customers and field several hundred calls from
customers who don't host their own DNS and don't know what you're
talking about?  Or do you maintain a list of customers who host their
own DNS and send only those customers email when you change your MX
records?
  This isn't to say that it can't be done, but it is more of a pain and
likely more costly to let your customers control their own DNS if you
host their email and/or their web presence.
  That said, their's no reason -- once we've helped them deploy and/or
compose cogent notifications that can be understood by their
non-technical customers -- that these providers can't publish SPF
records for all of the domains they host.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator