bad advice: Please stop publishing -all it is NOT time yet

2004-06-13 10:55:42
In <1087147635(_dot_)15784(_dot_)119(_dot_)camel(_at_)code3> James Couzens
<jcouzens(_at_)6o4(_dot_)ca> writes:

Also for the benefit of anyone else reading here, people need to stop
publishing -all.  Its TOO early.  Michael is not only having this
problem, but getting e-mail rejected as a result!  This behaviour will
only damage the reputation of SPF.

NO!

People who use SPF parsers that don't match the spec shouldn't use
them.  (See http://www.midwestcs.com/spf/tests/ for an SPF test suite)

People who use broken parsers are going to have all sorts of problems,
and domain owners not publishing -all isn't going to save them from
all of the problems.

Domain owners should publish records that accurately reflect their
situation, and many situations call for -all.  We *don't* want to give
people the advice that will require people to have to change their
records again at some vague time in the future.

Dennis Dayman from Verizon has already discovered this and I suggest
that those who care, follow his example and revert to ?all until its the
proper time.

What Verizon discovered is that their -all doesn't accurately reflect
their situation.  Personally, I would guess that ~all would be more
accurate than ?all, but I don't know the innards of Verizon's net so
I'll defer to Dennis.

-wayne