Re: Are SPF fault tolerant ? How to make SPF records changed correctly ?

2004-07-14 03:00:45
On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 05:12:08PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 10:39:32PM +0200, Koen Martens wrote:
| > >address of dial-up pool we used to send emails.
| > >The same question - how to do this correctly ? Do we have to delegate our
| > >DNS management in addition to server management to ISP ?
| > >Or we must take such a change burden on ourself ?
| This was my first response the the original post too. But it's a bit
| more subtle. We are talking about the ip's of your ISP's outgoing mail
| servers. If these change, there is (at least today) no real reason why
| an ISP would inform you of this. Of course, tomorrow (read: when SPF is
| widely implemented) ISP's should inform you of those changes.

I still don't see why an include: won't do the trick.

And of course that's the only real solution to the problem, but it'll usually
mean you'll have to convince your ISP to create SPF records, and this is not an
easy task. I tried once with my ISP, but they say 'the effort is too much for
the gain'. Luckilly, my ISP let's me run my own MTA, but if it doesn't do that,
you're in trouble. Changing ISP's is not always possible, over here (holland)
some ISP's make you sign contracts that can only be cancelled on a years notice.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html