RE: Co-ordination of activities between MS and SPF for Sender-ID

2004-08-13 21:14:32
I think the "_ep" sub-domain is a good idea.  What if a domain has other TXT
records not related to SPF, the sender ID logic will have extra records to
process.  In the future the use of TXT records may increase for many other
reasons not related to SPF.

Guy

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of John
Glube
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 8:00 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] Co-ordination of activities between MS and SPF for
Sender-ID

Meng,

If one goes to:

http://www.anti-spamtools.org/SenderIDEmailPolicyTool/Default.asp

You will note that a wizard has been set up to assist folks in
publishing what is called an 'E-mail policy document' which can
be used by people who have implemented Sender-ID

I found this link by going to:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spam_senderid.mspx

(It is referenced under related links.)

If you run through the wizard, at the last page, you will find
the following statement:

Your E-Mail Policy Document must be published in DNS records of
type TXT in the subdomain "_ep" under your domain. Consult the
documentation of your DNS administration tools for further
details on publishing this.

It is my understanding the marid protocol for SPF (to be renamed
Sender-ID) does not require publishing the 'E-Mail Policy
Document' in the subdomain "_ep."

This is a carry over from the Caller-ID protocol.

It is my understanding with the merger of SPF and Sender-ID this
requirement was dropped

With the media drive now underway to get the word out about
Sender-ID:

* if people go to the SPF site they will receive one instruction
for publishing an Sender Policy Framework in DNS records of type
TXT;

* if people go to the anti-spamtools.org site, people are going
to be lead to believe they have to publish their 'E-Mail Policy
Document' in DNS records of type TXT in the subdomain "_ep."

I asked these questions about a month ago to this list, when the
draft marid protocol was originally published in July and was
told in essence MS understood and was NOT going to be asking for
people to publish in the subdomain "_ep."

Now with the ongoing issue of a change in version string and
whether you have to publish one or two records, I am obliged to
ask the same questions again.

What's the story? In asking this question, I am not wanting to
suggest any malice on anyone's part.

I suspect what happened is that someone, in setting up the
wizard simply read the wrong document.

If you scroll down the page, you will note that the "Sender ID
Draft Specification: MTA Authentication Records in DNS" is the
version dated June 23, 2004 which is now out of date.

Can we get this rectified? Otherwise I suspect people are going
to be publishing the wrong records in the wrong place.

John

P.S. I also note the following additional statements on this
page:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spam_senderid.mspx

Note: This tool is in beta, pending IETF approval. SPF records
created with this tool will require later revisions.

To check for the SPF record in incoming mail, your ISP or system
administrator will need to update to Sender ID-compliant
software to check for the Purported Responsible Address (PRA) of
incoming mail.

The text goes on to state:

If you are a software developer and are interested in
implementing the PRA check in your software, please review the
terms of the Caller ID for E-Mail implementation license
agreement before you begin. Please note that Microsoft does not
require a license agreement for individuals, companies, or ISPs
who wish only to publish their Sender ID SPF text records.

I simply reference this material in passing.

John Glube
Toronto, Canada

The FTC Calls For Sender Authentication
http://www.learnsteps4profit.com/dne.html