RE: Good Domain List one step closer to reality (actually two steps)

2004-08-16 07:26:26
Seth,

I appreciate your taking the time to respond, along with
your frank statement of concerns.

(Don't the diplomats say, the parties had a frank exchange
of views, which really means, they threw everything back
and forth at each other but the kitchen sink:-))

Let me look at the underlying issues from your perspective:

Promises to follow policies are not of any value unless you
have an actual contract between sender and recipient.

As someone who believes in the sanctity of contracts,
agreed.

I note in passing, if the contract between the sender and
the accreditation service is properly structured, since the
ultimate beneficiary are recipients who use the
accreditation service, this gives these recipients a right
of action to sue any sender who breaches the contract and
causes recipients to suffer damages which can be stipulated
in advance.

Also, let's include a term that the sender will fully
cooperate with regulatory authorities in response to any
reported violations of prohibited sender behavior under
applicable laws.

I would expect that a sender-financed accreditation service
to meet the needs of recipients as well as a Chamber of
Commerce does for consumers. I wouldn't expect to get an
honest answer from a Chamber of Commerce as to the
reputation of any of its members, nor would I trust any
sender-funded accreditation service.

Obviously I disagree as to whether one will receive an
honest answer from an accreditation service.

However, it is fair to put the concern on the table so that
steps can be taken to deal with this issue.

The real issue is whether one believes industry self
regulation can work.

Sender authentication, along with accreditation and
reputation is self regulation by industry.

In the United States, this stems from how the US Federal
law regulating commercial email was written.

This goes back to underlying economic theories of how one
perceives markets work best.

For now, the FTC would like to see industry regulate
itself.

Hence the decision to let industry come up with a sender
authentication protocol, while reserving the right to step
in, if required.

However, once you embark on the course of industry
regulation, ultimately government has to oversee certain
aspects of any self regulatory scheme.

If it's financed by senders, I'm afraid that is what you're
up against. The difference in viewpoints between bulk
senders and recipients is so different as to be
irreconcilable.  Bulk senders typically find blacklists to
be arbitrary, punitive and unfair.  As a recipient and an
engineer, I find that blacklists have become increasingly
accurate and responsive.  Bulk senders want a well-defined
system that resembles due process.  Recipients prefer
immediate halt to abuse, which precludes due process.  In a
typical adversarial relationship, eventually the two
parties might benefit from cooperation.  However, in this
case, the bulk senders have nothing that recipients want,
so there is no basis for cooperation.

Well at least I understand from whence you come with the
admission of your being an engineer:-)

The underlying premise is your view that as bulk mailers
have nothing recipients want there is no basis for
co-operation.

Let me put forward an example. I run an internet access
service, providing customers with broadband internet access
along with web based mail service and POP3 access.

Customers send and receive email, the later in accord with
the service's AUP. Customers will also receive
transactional messages, along with newsletters and
commercial messages.

In running this service I make it clear to senders and my
customers through publication of an online acceptable use
policy that the only newsletters and commercial messages we
will transmit to our customers' mailbox is where there is
verified consent, closed loop verification or verified
opt-in. Any other form of newsletter and commercial message
will be rejected.

(As a side note, given the proposed rules concerning the
primary purpose of transactional messages, I might have to
modify that policy, but that's a separate issue.)

Nice in theory, but how do I enforce this policy?

As we both know, there are real time black lists which
operate on this basis. So I pick up the data feed of these
services.

Would I as a recipient be interested in a service which in
essence:

* provides me with confirmation that listed senders have
agreed to this standard;

* gives me the beneficial right to enforce the agreement
between the sender and the accreditation service; and

* includes a term that listed senders will fully co-operate
with regulatory authorities in response to any reported
violations of prohibited actions under applicable law.

Now, since I am marketing an internet access service to
consumers, who don't wish to receive UBE, but want to send
email and receive transactional messages, newsletters and
in some cases commercial messages, such a service is of
interest, because it fills a need which I have.

Let's go one step further and give my customers access to a
'this is spam' button in their web based mailbox and as a
free add on to their email client software which my
customers use to download email from their web based mail
box.

This is in essence the scenario which many internet access
services now or will likely operate under in the near
future, except that the standards for acceptance of
newsletters and commercial messages for delivery to
customers are often not as strict.

This is not meant as a criticism, but simply a reflection
of how some service providers operate based on what they
believe to be their customers' wishes.

The point? There are points of common interest between
senders and internet access services. At the same time
there are points of friction.

The key points of friction are when and how to stop abuse.

Senders want some standards. Internet access services want
total discretion, so being able to meet the needs of their
customers.

The answer? Well that is why I am posing the friction
points and then simply going to sit back and listen.

John

John Glube
Toronto, Canada

John

John Glube
Toronto, Canada

voice: 416-535-6366; mailto:john(_at_)learnsteps4profit(_dot_)com
private message:  http://adcopy.quikonnex.com/

Discover How Anyone Can Get More Buyers
http://www.learnsteps4profit.com