Re: Good Domain List one step closer to reality (actually two steps)

2004-08-13 16:48:37
Question: Has anyone compiled a list of organizations building clearinghouses?

Meng Weng Wong [13/08/04 03:14 -0400]:
A few weeks ago I posted a challenge:

http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200407/0937.html

The thinking behind this challenge is documented at:

  http://spf.pobox.com/aspen.html

Today Cloudmark and Verisign gave me a pleasant surprise by
announcing that they had answered the challenge.

Cloudmark has introduced a rating service.

Verisign is publishing its list of domains with SSL
certificates.

Both of these "good domain lists" help fill in the
reputation piece of the authentication puzzle.

SPF developers are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to think about
building in a query to the above services in their
libraries.

When the reputation clearinghouse is done, implementations
can switch to querying that, reducing N queries against N
sources to 1 query returning N datasets.

Here's how Cloudmark answered my challenge:

    20040813-03:13:51 mengwong(_at_)dumbo:~% for i in amazon.com aol.com
apple.com cnn.com gmail.com google.com ibm.com ietf.org nytimes.com
onion.com; do echo -n "$i: "; dnsip $i.rating.cloudmark.com; done
    amazon.com: 127.1.100.100
    aol.com: 127.1.100.100
    apple.com: 127.1.100.100
    cnn.com: 127.1.100.100