Re: Fw: Received your email

2004-08-23 12:09:09
On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 01:00:01PM -0600,
administrator(_at_)yellowhead(_dot_)com wrote:
You might want to re-examine the criteria you are using, as there is
nothing non-standard about the way our server is configured. The EHLO our
sendmailNT server uses by default is the physical server name <SERVER3>,

... RFC 2821 says:

4.1.1.1  Extended HELLO (EHLO) or HELLO (HELO)

   These commands are used to identify the SMTP client to the SMTP
   server.  The argument field contains the fully-qualified domain name
   of the SMTP client if one is available.  In situations in which the
   SMTP client system does not have a meaningful domain name (e.g., when
   its address is dynamically allocated and no reverse mapping record is

   available), the client SHOULD send an address literal (see section
   4.1.3), optionally followed by information that will help to identify
   the client system.

<SERVER3> appears to be neither a fully-qualified domain name nor
an address literal.  Many sites will block a non-FQDN HELO outright.
Most clients issuing a default Windows system name for a HELO are viruses,
in my experience.  Blocking on invalid HELO's is one of my system's most
valuable blocks.

--
The only difference between conservatives and liberals regarding budget cuts
is tense. Conservatives say they will cut the budget, and then they increase