RE: Some thoughts about spam and SPF

2004-08-23 12:02:27
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Seth
Goodman
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 2:43 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Some thoughts about spam and SPF

Depending on who your provider is and what your choices are, a static IP
may not be that much more expensive and will let you be responsible for
your own setup again.

Don't get your hopes up about a Comcast static IP either.  I recently
developed a need for a static IP and tried to get Comcast to upgrade my
service.  After calling their business services division, I discovered that
the advanced technology of a static IP was not yet available in my area.
Also, IIRC, where they do have static IP available, it comes out of the same
pool as their DHCP addresses and so even with a static IP you may still be
blackholed.

This just highlights the challenges to the small domain owner in trying to
effectively use SPF.  So far, for me, the only +mechanism I've been able to
put in my record is for a webmail service provided by my domain host.
Everything else I have access to is shared with the possiblity of
cross-customer forgery.

Scott Kitterman