RE: Some thoughts about spam and SPF

2004-08-24 12:36:38
From: Guy
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 1:26 PM

You said: "wouldn't it be easier to include:dnsmadeeasy.com?"

Is that a free service?  If no, is your message spam?

Would anyone else using dnsmadeeasy.com be able to fake my
email address?

Even if free and safe...  It is much more fun to have my own
system that does not require/depend on other systems.  I
still need someone to route my packets!

I think we are long past the point of having the luxury to consider what
is fun.  I think that Stuart is right, you need an SMTP AUTH service
that prevents domain forgery.  Ideally, it would also prevent individual
mailbox forgery at a domain.  If your connectivity provider is too big,
too clueless or too lazy to provide you with this and you have no
realistic choice of providers, you may have to pay a third party to
provide this service.  That is regrettable, but if you want to use a "+"
in your SPF record, I don't see many alternatives.

If it makes you feel any better, I have the same problem, as do many
small business and personal domain owners.  Neither of my two providers
offer SMTP AUTH, though one promises it in the near future.  When they
do, it is unclear if they will prevent domain forgery after
authentication.  I have written them to explain the need for this, but
the reply I got back indicates they either didn't read or didn't
understand the request.

--

Seth Goodman