Re: Patent license

2004-08-24 13:33:55

oops

Sorry about that, accidentally hit control-enter! dang!
i did have a point.

anyhow, the php/bsd/apache thing looks like this

250-oo50 Hi server1.managean.com [69.20.9.90]
dispatching MAIL From:<nobody(_at_)server1(_dot_)managean(_dot_)com>
250 nobody(_at_)server1(_dot_)managean(_dot_)com, sender OK it is wery exciting.
dispatching RCPT To:<nananitty(_at_)emkdesign(_dot_)com>
250 nananitty(_at_)emkdesign(_dot_)com, recipient ok
dispatching DATA
354 go ahead
250 Queued!
dispatching QUIT
221 oo50 bye. Have a wonderfulo dayo.

it uses the machine process account for MAIL FROM while talking to the SMTP server.

So, here is the thing. If the MS server used the account address in the MAIL-FROM then I don't see why there would need to be any need to use PRA to begin with.

with SPF checking EHLO and MAIL-FROM, it is looking at the right place to do the check, IMHO.

I am trying to make some sense of PRA here.

Basically, their example problem involves a "from" address of the person sending the form.

If we base the SPF check on the "From" address in the header, then it would obviously fail because that domain wouldn't necessarily allow email to come from that machine that sent the form.

So I suppose they are trying to put this header in there that says "machine X sent this on behalf of blah(_at_)freakingexample(_dot_)com" - Does that sound about right?

Going back to the way the MS server works, if it just did a MAIL FROM based on the machine domain like the other example, there wouldn't need to be an SPF check on the header at all, right?

It just sounds like their software operates in a way that won't work with checks before DATA so it needs to check the header. ???

Waitman

Waitman C Gobble II wrote:

Seth Goodman wrote:

Many intelligent readers will cry "foul", this is not fair.  It isn't,
but that is our system.

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spam_senderid.mspx

According to that page, If you want to check the SPF record in incoming mail, you need to update to Sender ID compliant software to check PRA of incoming mail.

I guess I don't understand something. Are we dropping the MAIL-TO and EHLO and source IP check altogether and basing the checks on what's in the DATA?

I have been trying to figure out what the difference really is, reading the 'example problems' that PRA is supposed to address.

one is the 'contact form that is "from" the user's input address'

When I do such a thing on a bsd machine with sendmail using a php script, I get this

On an MS server using ASP and CDO I get this:

250-oo50 Hi h-68-165-182-37.lsanca54.covad.net [68.165.182.37]
dispatching MAIL FROM:<web(_dot_)server(_at_)buenaparkchamber(_dot_)org>
250 web(_dot_)server(_at_)buenaparkchamber(_dot_)org, sender OK it is wery
exciting.
dispatching RCPT TO:<contact(_at_)buenaparkchamber(_dot_)org>
250 contact(_at_)buenaparkchamber(_dot_)org, recipient ok
dispatching DATA
354 go ahead
250 Queued!
dispatching QUIT