Re: Fw: Received your email

2004-08-26 09:44:45
On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 10:04 -0600, administrator(_at_)yellowhead(_dot_)com
wrote:
***************** REPLY SEPARATER *****************
This is not about the Pros and Cons of GUI, or whether the bug is in the
mail program, or the GUI, or the Operating System, and I will not get drawn
into those discussions. This is about the fact that these anomolies do
exist in legitimate mail servers, and we cannot ignore that fact.

That depends on your definition of 'legitimate mail servers'. I do not
consider a mail server which violates RFC2821 to be in that category.
Just because it's trying to send real mail, doesn't make it a
'legitimate mail server'.

Consider an analogy. A 12-year-old is drunk and drives his parents' car
to his friend's house. His desire to get there is real -- does that make
him a 'legitimate road user'?

The validity of using the HELO/EHLO information has been discussed at
length on this list in the past, but it never struck home until now. There
is currently no easy way to determine what a server outputs in the HELO
response.

It's _trivial_ to check what your own server outputs. Even if reading
its documentation is too hard for you, then you can watch its outgoing
transactions on the wire, or look in Received: headers of mail sent from
it.

--
dwmw2