Re: Fw: Received your email

2004-08-25 08:58:31
administrator(_at_)yellowhead(_dot_)com wrote:

I think you guys are missing the point here. This was not a
misconfigured MTA.

True. Sendmail behaves correctly. It just has not been supplied all required
data (that is to say, it cannot just make up a FQDN for you, if none can be
determined). Sendmail allows you to forcibly set $j if the hostname cannot
be determined (or, in your case, a netbios name which does not Fully Qualify
as Domain Name).

There was no provision with the supplied
User Interface for the user to change the HELO response;

Nor should there be, really. If the host machine is well-configured for
connection to the outside world, the FQDN should be apparent to sendmail,
all by itself. :)

The fix that I implemented was a work around, and I don't know if it
will persist after the first configuration change using the supplied UI
(Web Interface).

The best solution, I believe, is to configure your machine in such a fashion
that it has a FQDN for use with the outside world. Have you tried to change
your hosts file? (I forgot who mentioned it; but it was a good suggestion).
Edit /etc/hosts, err, /windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts, if I recall
correctly, and all should be well. :)

BTW, arbitrarily changing the $j macro could have unforeseen consequences.
$j is used all throughout the rulesets, and affects the way sendmail does
masquerading, forms qualified recipients, etc. Not to spook you
unneccesarily, but you may want to proceed with some caution there.

Cheers,

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---