Re: Fw: Received your email

2004-08-25 09:28:28
On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 08:50 -0600, administrator(_at_)yellowhead(_dot_)com
wrote:
*************** REPLY SEPARATER *****************

A blank line provides a far more useful separation between the quoted
text and your own reply, I find.

I think you guys are missing the point here. This was not a misconfigured
MTA. There was no provision with the supplied User Interface for the user
to change the HELO response; it was a standard installation.

I don't really think that's relevant. It was a misbehaving MTA, and you
were able to correct its behaviour by fixing its configuration.

The fact that the pretty point-and-drool user interface produces a
configuration that violates RFC2821 isn't really relevant. The
configuration was wrong -- it was misconfigured.

For that matter, I never ever knew what our Sendmail server was
sending for a response, and the only way I could find out was to run a
packet analyzer on the receiving server. This is way beyond the
average email administrator's capability.

Email is hard. Wrapping it in a pretty GUI doesn't make users into
competent sysadmins. People ship crap 'products'. Boo hoo.

--
dwmw2