Re: Non-adoption of SPF by most-phished domains

2004-09-01 13:12:26
On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 15:59, Koen Martens wrote:

[snip]

I hope though that either MARID (the ietf workgroup pushing for senderid
if i'm correct) will come to it's senses, and either make senderid
acceptable to the whole internet, not just the Inc's and .coms + they
put some envelope from checking in there, or failing that that spf will
carry on regardless of senderid.

<RANT>
  You know, I've been patient, well mannered, and on-topic on the MARID
list since I first posted at the beginning of last call, but I've got to
agree with your last post to MARID: this process has disgusted me, too.
  I keep saying it, and I'm going to keep saying it, that THREE LAWYERS
have stated that this license is incompatible with many FOSS licenses
(including the GPL) and ZERO LAWYERS have said otherwise.  There's been
significant deployment problems presented to the MARID WG because of
this, and yet it I fear that it may still move forward as a standard.
We'll see, I guess.  Last call ends in a few days.  I, too, hope the
MARID WG comes to its senses.
  I find it interesting that no one has contested what the lawyers have
said regarding this.  It appears to be being ignored.  PHB is right
about one thing, if I'm paraphrasing what he's stated correctly...that
the IETF is at risk of becoming increasingly irrelevant.  I think maybe
what's need is a threat of a split like what happened with the W3C not
long ago.  Though the W3C is not ideal, it's certainly better than the
IETF in its current form.
</RANT>
--
-Paul Iadonisi