Re: Wildcard DNS entry

2004-09-09 00:14:20
On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 01:33, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 07:01:02PM -0400, guy wrote:

| >From what I have read, I should give each host a spf record!
| This does not seem reasonable for large sites.  For me it is ok.
| But if this is true, it seems likely most people don't know to do it.
| If I am correct, this needs to be in the spec, or if it is, it needs to be
| in the spec twice!  Or made very clear.

Yeah, there are four classes of solutions, really.

1) deprecate "implicit mx"
2) modify spec to allow searching up the tree, as Wayne has
   proposed in the past
3) put an SPF record on each host
4) encourage the world to assume "a/24 mx/24 ptr -all" for
   non-publishing domains

Also, the wildcard record to handle hosts that don't exist is not
needed, because anyone competent enough to be checking SPF isn't likely
to be accepting mail from non-existent domains in the first place.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul(_at_)city-fan(_dot_)org>