Re: Wildcard DNS entry

2004-09-09 08:28:35
On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 11:24:28AM -0400, guy wrote:
I was thinking of the same thing, or similar.
I was thinking of a default.  But I like the wild wildcard idea better.
Of the 5 options so far, I like this the best!
But it should wait until the dedicated record type is assigned.  Otherwise
bind would not know the difference between two unrelated txt records.
This would not work:

watkins-home.com.             txt     "v=spf1 ..."
**.watkins-home.com.  txt     "v=spf1 -all"
www.watkins.home.com. a       1.2.3.4
www.watkins.home.com. txt     "My first web server!"
hot.watkins.home.com. a       1.2.3.5
hot.watkins.home.com. txt     "v=spf1 a -all"
ftp.watkins.home.com. a       1.2.3.6

The wildcard would protect ftp, but not www, since www has its own txt
record.  hot would have its own txt/spf record.

That would not work with bind in any event. If there is an A record
defined for a name, the wildcard will be ignored /for any type/ -- if
you specify the name explicitly, then you have to specify all its
records explicitly. There is no fall-back to the wildcard.

Ari