Re: Spam undetectable by SPF (domain reputation) or Bayesian (content)?

2004-09-13 16:33:46

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fridrik Skulason" <frisk(_at_)f-prot(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 6:09 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Spam undetectable by SPF (domain reputation) or
Bayesian (content)?

We don't have to raise the cost of spamming to infinity. We don't even
have
to raise the cost to a very large number. We only have to raise the cost
*little bit* to stop spam forever.

This is, quite frankly, nonsense.

You are forgetting the fact that in the case of compromised (zombie)
machines, the extra cost would fall on the owners of those machines, not
the spammer - the extra cost would not make one bit of difference to
those spammers.   True, it would be a problem for spammers using
throwaway domains or dedicated spam sites, but they can be blocked
today with other means.

It still helps. Forcing them to zombied machines enhances the effectiveness
of other techniques, such as ISP's that block port 25 except to or from
their designated SMTP servers. I find that technique extremely helpful for
blocking various phishing attempts, zombies, etc.