RE: Extreme times call for extreme measures?

2004-10-06 16:50:56

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com wrote:

  2) Relay - no way, it just complicates things
Why?  Other then the possibility of:
1) you are sending large files via email (ugh!) that your ISP refuses to relay
2) you are sending large volumes of email and your ISP starts to refuse your
excessive transmissions
(your not going to admit to doing that on this list, are you...  :)

There is no legit reason AFAICT for not relaying through your ISP.  If (1) or
(2) is true, you
probably need a more commercial, dedicated connection anyway.

Or (3) - your ISP's mail servers are unreliable or unpredicatably slow. Some of the largest are the worst for "oops - mail got delayed for 2 days for no apparent reason". Not that uncommon a problem.

I get screams from customers if it takes _20 minutes_ to end-to-end an email.

--
Benjamin Franz

Catapultam habeo.

Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad capul tuum saxum immane mittam.

(Translation: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money or I will fling
 an enormous rock at your head.")
                                        Henry Beard