RE: Extreme times call for extreme measures?

2004-10-07 05:42:20
Or (3) - your ISP's mail servers are unreliable or
unpredicatably slow.
Some of the largest are the worst for "oops - mail got
delayed for 2 days
for no apparent reason". Not that uncommon a problem.

I get screams from customers if it takes _20 minutes_ to
end-to-end an
email.

Fair enough.  I hope that's rare.  And I hope there are alternative ISP's as an
option, or if email
is that mission critical to ones organization, the organization is willing to
spend money on a
static IP (or co-located mail server, or outsourced mail service) all of which
overcome the dynamic
IP issue.

But to be honest, when I configured my mail servers to start blocking inbound
from dynamic IP's, my
spam load dropped easily 70-80% (much fewer drones sending me spam).  And I
know plenty of others
found the same.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085

--
Benjamin Franz

Catapultam habeo.

Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad capul tuum saxum immane mittam.

(Translation: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money or I
will fling
  an enormous rock at your head.")
                                         Henry Beard

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in
Atlanta features SPF and Sender ID.
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription,