Re: How can this work?

2004-10-07 09:23:30
Dan Barker wrote, in part,

I see how SPF records can help if you are at the office. What about when you
are on the road?

One way is described under "Step 2" at

http://spf.pobox.com/forsysadmins.htm

I really am no expert here, so I'll let other chime in with other potential
solutions.

I am going to chide the SPF community some here.  There are not enough clear
explanations
and examples available.  If MS coupled with the march of time manage to bury
SPF, it will
be more because of not enough communication than because of technical problems.

You have already noted how MS is able to advance a technically questionable
spec by force of
PR power.

Use the web, Luke.  Make it easy and clear for people to get answers to
questions.  Be honest.
Where things are still somewhat half baked, say so.  Where things are working
well, give
real world examples.  Where you see common mistakes, give correcting advice and
explanation.

I would take on some of this work myself, but I am really only an interested
bystander.  I simply
don't have the technical knowledge.  I am quite well aware of the gearhead
mentality, possessing
a rather large degree of it myself:  the idea that technical things are the
most important and
social/marketing matters will take care of themselves once the techinical end
is straightened out.

This idea is only half true.  The half false part will bite you.  It matters a
lot what impression you
give to the outside world.  If you leave legitimate, or even ignorant questions
begging for answers,
you lose people quickly.

Mark Holm