RE: Re: When did we lose control?

2004-10-22 12:43:13
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of
Hallam-Baker,
Phillip
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 3:23 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Re: When did we lose control?

* Amend the protocol for v=spf1 with a modifier, as
requested by Rand, so that those who wish to state their
record can't be used for pra checking can do so; and,

In what alternative universe do you think that can be
enforced and under what theory of law?

If you send me mail I will decide how I analyze it, not you.
The premise here is that the sender might be a spammer and
spammers don't get to choose.

The receiver gets to use whatever method he wants to use, granted.

But if the sender published an SPF record he intended it to describe the
behaviour of emails from
his domain.  If PRA and SPF always gave the same result for a given SPF record
there would be no
problem.  But the PRA does NOT give the same result always, hence could
describe a different
behaviour then the publisher of an SPF record intended for his emails.

A domain with only SPF v1 published should have the same behaviour for PRA as
what SPF would return
for a domain with no SPF record published.

PRA is already implemented and active. Nothing this or any
other group can do will change that.

Correct (if written but not used in production constitutes implemented).

And on domains where PRA is published, or the SPF record indicates a v2 and
scope includes PRA, then
use PRA.  But if an SPF record does not indicate it is published for PRA scope,
it should not be
used for PRA scope.  PERIOD.

What you are trying to do here is to push a position that
means that I can only analyze MY incomming mail with
software that meets your choosen ideology.

No, you aren't being told you cannot use PRA on the senders domain.  You are
being told not to use
PRA against records intended for SPF which may not illicit the same PASS/FAIL
behaviour for a PRA
algorithm.  What's so hard to understand about that?

Tough, not happening. Why waste bits arguing the point?

Granted, discussing even simple logic with PRA proponents has clearly
demonstrated a waste of time.

Terry

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in
Atlanta features SPF and Sender ID.
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription,