Re: Re: When did we lose control?

2004-10-22 12:43:32
In
<C6DDA43B91BFDA49AA2F1E473732113E010BECC3(_at_)mou1wnexm05(_dot_)vcorp(_dot_)ad(_dot_)vrsn(_dot_)com>
 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> writes:

* Amend the protocol for v=spf1 with a modifier, as
requested by Rand, so that those who wish to state their
record can't be used for pra checking can do so; and,

In what alternative universe do you think that can be
enforced and under what theory of law?

Agreed

PRA is already implemented and active. Nothing this or any
other group can do will change that.

For various definitions of "implemented" and "active", yes.  From the
best data I have, every day it loses ground to SPF deployment though.

What you are trying to do here is to push a position that
means that I can only analyze MY incomming mail with
software that meets your choosen ideology. Tough, not
happening. Why waste bits arguing the point?

You are right, no one can tell you how to run your mail server.
However, information about the accuracy of published information,
however, can be very useful.  So, if I publish information that says
"mail from midwestcs.com can come from other sources than just my MX",
you would be very wise to pay attention to that.  (and, in fact, my
SPF record says just that.)  Likewise, if I say "my SPF record will
not work with the PRA", you would be wise to pay attention to that
also.  In both cases, I may be lying or, more likely, have made a
mistake.

So, yeah, if you want to use my SPF record to judge whether email with
a Message-ID: using my domain name is valid, go ahead.  I'm going to
tell you straight up though:  you would be a bloody fool to do so.

-wayne