Re: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article On Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-18 12:56:15
Dave Crocker wrote:

SPF essentially eliminates spontaneous scenarios, by virtue
of requiring pre-registration.

That's not true, if you want to send some mails via my ISP
(during your next spontaneous visit ;-) then it's possible:

MAIL FROM:<me(_at_)xyzzy>
 From: you(_at_)dcrocker
 Subject: SPF-test

That works everywhere as far as SPF (not PRA) is concerned.
I'm responsible, I'd get the bounce, working as designed.

Certainly the scenarios I described were not hoaxes.

MAIL FROM:<you(_at_)dcrocker> actually sent from me _is_ wrong.

If you think that it's okay just don't publish any sender
policy for you(_at_)dcrocker, it's your domain, your rules.

what about supporting the 999,000,000 users of the
Internet who are not geeks?

They certainly don't want to get billions of bounces for
mails where a spammer forged their MAIL FROM.  Bye, Frank