Re: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article On Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-18 12:29:25
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:11:49 -0500, Michael Hammer wrote:
 >  There was nothing about the scenarios that involved pretending.
 >   Merely spontaneous usage.

  Au contrare.... you were pretending to be sending mail from a
  domain that did not authorize the sending of email from where you
  were at.

First of all, I was "pretending" nothing.  Please re-read the scenario I
described.

Second of all, my point was that requiring pre-registration creates new and
deleterious effects, whereas you are saying that the imposition of this new
requirement is self-justifying.

 >  Now, how is this scenario unreasonable and/or how can spf work
 >  "correctly" in this real-world situation.

  I don't know. SMTP auth, webmail, a crackberry....

SMTP Auth is irrelevant to the scenario.

As for the others, you are taking the scenarios I described and saying that the
way to fix things is not use them.  And therein lies the philosophical problem
with path registration schemes: they are vastly Procrustean and far too willing
to toss our entirely reasonable and appropriate usage scenarios.

  I would argue that spf worked absolutely correctly. Your thesis
  runs something like this..... I choose to use a hammer for driving
  in a screw.

Please re-read the scenarios I described.  They are quite representative of
entirely reasonable and real real-world scenarios.  There is no mismatch of the
type you describe.

d/
--
Dave Crocker