RE: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article On Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-18 13:03:28
Ok, the domain you were using does not authorize you to send email from the
place you did attempt to send it.  If you control the domain, then you must
authorize your friends SMTP server.  Maybe your domain's spf record should
end with a "?all".

My house has 3 doors from the outside.  Each uses a different key.  Common
with an old house.  I only carry 2 keys.  So, guess what, I can't use the
third door!  I could change that with a third key, but I choose not to.  So,
in a sense, I am not authorized to use the third door.  The owner (me) of
the house makes the rules.

Guy

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Dave
Crocker
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 2:29 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article On
Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:11:49 -0500, Michael Hammer wrote:
 There was nothing about the scenarios that involved pretending.
  Merely spontaneous usage.

 Au contrare.... you were pretending to be sending mail from a
 domain that did not authorize the sending of email from where you
 were at.

First of all, I was "pretending" nothing.  Please re-read the scenario I
described.

Second of all, my point was that requiring pre-registration creates new and
deleterious effects, whereas you are saying that the imposition of this new
requirement is self-justifying.

 Now, how is this scenario unreasonable and/or how can spf work
 "correctly" in this real-world situation.

 I don't know. SMTP auth, webmail, a crackberry....

SMTP Auth is irrelevant to the scenario.

As for the others, you are taking the scenarios I described and saying that
the way to fix things is not use them.  And therein lies the philosophical
problem with path registration schemes: they are vastly Procrustean and far
too willing to toss our entirely reasonable and appropriate usage scenarios.

 I would argue that spf worked absolutely correctly. Your thesis
 runs something like this..... I choose to use a hammer for driving
 in a screw.

Please re-read the scenarios I described.  They are quite representative of
entirely reasonable and real real-world scenarios.  There is no mismatch of
the type you describe.

d/
--
Dave Crocker