Re: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article On Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-18 10:10:46

On Nov 18, 2004, at 11:59 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:23:10 +0100, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
  I get the feeling you think false positives are possible with SPF.

As has happened to me several times over the last few weeks, I needed to use machines and networks that were not in my regular set. This meant using MTAs that were not in my regular set. Some were public kiosks and some were friend's pc's, where I set the rfc2822.From field to be my address.

All of the messages from those situations would be assessed an "unauthorized" and therefore would be falsely rejected.

That's not precisely true. IF the owner of the domain that was present in your RFC2822 From address says that you can't do that... then you can't do that and isn't a false positive -- It's a painful policy.

Of course, if people published RFC2821 policies are suddenly interpreted in an RFC2822 context, then absolutely. Maybe I missed the first part of this thread and that is what you are referring to as "SPF".

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on Earth