RE: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article On Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-18 22:59:51
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:03:28 -0500, Guy wrote:
  Ok, the domain you were using does not authorize you to send email
  from the place you did attempt to send it.

I was completely authorized, as I said quite clearly in my description of the
scenario.

What you are saying is like claiming that when you borrow a friend's cell phone
it's use is "unauthorized" because it was not registered with the folks paying
the bills for it.

It is also like saying that you may only post paper mail at pre-arranged
stations.

When you walk up to an Internet kiosk in an airport and use it's mail service,
but set the From field to your home email address, you are not spoofing
anything, since the message is from you, and you are quite authorized. Further,
the kiosk operator is pretty close to the last person who should see bounces.
You, the source of the message and the person trying to contact the addressee,
want to know if the message did not get through, so you are the one that
bounces should go to.

d/
--
Dave Crocker