OT - Telephone Caller ID

2004-11-19 12:19:07
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Nico
Kadel-Garcia
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 2:10 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article
On Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

*WRONG*. Suicide lines, AIDS support call centers, teen sex information
lines, Planned Parenthood, drug clinics, government whistle-blowing
agencies, dating services, and other services where the anonymity of the
caller is important for their own protection all seem to relish the idea
once you explain its details to them. It still presents a security
issue for
the Caller-ID mangling service itself, but it's potentially quite useful
itself. It's especially useful to be able to forge the calling ID to the
number of some organization that accepts the responsibility, such as a
dating service or the suicide hotline itself.

I agree that it's certainly abusable, but given that it's so easily forged,
I hate to see people think they can rely on it or to be frightened from
making a vital call because they don't trust the person they're calling not
to use the Caller-ID to backtrack the call.

Or you could just dial *67 in the US (different numbers in different
countries) and turn off caller ID.

There is no privacy need to fake a caller ID number.

Scott Kitterman