Re: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article On Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-19 12:23:52
In <007801c4ce69$924e4ef0$0316a8c0(_at_)bigp4> "Vivien M."
<vivienm(_at_)dyndns(_dot_)org> writes:

But then, why is it that if I dig through the 12000 messages I've received
from this list and my memory thereof, I find various people who seem to be
threatening to blacklist domains that don't publish some form of more
restrictive SPF policy?

SPF is the Sender Policy Framework.  The SPF result will tell you
whether the email being sent conforms to the Sender's Policies.

SPF is not a Receiver Policy Framework.  Receivers are free to do
anything they want, including things like blocking email that comes
from China/Korea, email that comes from "dynamic" IP addresses, email that
gives an SPF result of Neutral or even Pass, email that comes from an
MTA that does invalided SMTP pipelining, etc.

Some of these receiver policies I agree, some I don't, but in all
cases I think that since it is their server, it should be their
rules.  Similarly, some of the sender policies I agree with, and some
I don't, but since it is their domain, it should be their rules.

-wayne