RE: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article On Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-19 08:44:29
Hi,

I was completely authorized, as I said quite clearly in my
description of the scenario.

The problem is that any spammer could claim to be authorized. The MTA needs
a way to determine who is realy authorized and who is not. The system
discussed here is SPF, and the SPF settings for the domain you are using say
that you are not authorized to send mail from the system you were using.

There are only two options here:
- Change the SPF settings/policy to authorize the system you
  want to use.

- Use a system that is already authorized by SPF, using for
  example:
  - SMTP AUTH
  - SMTP relay-after-POP
  - Webmail
  - etc.

If both options are impossible to use for you, you have to talk to the
person who made the SPF policy...

If your only objections are that SPF takes planning and extra work: you are
right. But it is a lot less work than having to deal with spam in another
way. I think that everybody would rather live in a world where using SPF (or
other anti-spam stuff) is not neccesary, but I am afraid that is not going
to happen...

Sander.