Re: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article On Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-19 15:18:53
On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 09:59:51PM -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:03:28 -0500, Guy wrote:
? Ok, the domain you were using does not authorize you to send email
? from the place you did attempt to send it.

I was completely authorized, as I said quite clearly in my description of the
scenario.

Analogy time: you run a small business that keeps getting broken into. You ask
the police to arrest anyone they see on the premises between 7pm and 8am,
since you *never* go there between those hours.

One day, you leave something at work, and go back for it at 9pm.

You are arrested.

Would you have a problem with that?

I would argue that you need to distinguish between "having the authority
to authorise" and actually "being authorised". While you may have the
authority to authorise yourself to send mail from your friend's machine,
you have not followed the process which *you* put in place for authorisation.
As a result, no, you are *not* authorised to send that mail in the way you
described.

Cheers,

Nick