Re: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article On Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-22 10:01:30
Sunday, November 21, 2004, 4:57:07 PM, Graham wrote:

GM> Shane Rush <shane(_at_)red(_dot_)nymcity(_dot_)com> writes:

Also you may conclude that it is normal for all general public users to
know that they are not able to use their ISP domain address for
posting outside their ISP, unless they use the webinterface provided.
If they need to use a kiosk they will use webinterface or someone like
hotmail.

GM> But that is not true. The restriction is on sending mail via the ISP's
GM> SMTP server when not connected via the ISP/network. That is not the
GM> same thing as not being allowed to use the ISP domain address in the
GM> (RFC 2822) From:.

I agree, however the bulk of general public do not /know/ such things
and most IME would continue to use their 5 or less email addresses as
now compartmented for different tasks.  Gmail, Hotmail, ISP or
Disposable, the general public do not /know/ about headers in general or
care.

Bear in mind that I am replying to Vivian's post and his idea that SPF will
break things for the mass general public.  My point is that in my
(apparently different) part of the world the general public /know/ that
they can only post while connected to their ISP network or use the work
arounds provided, webmail, Gmail, Hotmail, etc and have no need to
venture further.  The result - the email addresses used therefore always
match the sending server.

I'm saying that alternate methods for MTA, MUA are the province of
Commercial or Knowledgeable users who know about smtp and filtering systems
so have the skills to adapt - the bulk of general users will have changes
implemented quietly by their email providers - be it forwarding or
other.
The only effect the general public users will ever see is if a commercial
or non-commercial email provider they are using has an IT that does not
correctly use the tools available such as slackening SPF rules for now if
needed while complimentary ID/auth schemes become more widely tested
and adopted.

Shane